Prizes include wine glasses from the Monterey Bay Aquarium, $500 gift cards to Whole Foods Market, meal kits from Blue Apron, $100 Disney gift cards and a grand prize of expedition cruise packages from Lindblad Expeditions.
Celebrate National Seafood Month by posting one seafood dish each week:
Required: Be sure your recipe includes information on where the seafood is from and its Seafood Watch rating. For example: U.S. farmed catfish po'boy, Seafood Watch Best Choice. Consult the free Seafood Watch app or SeafoodWatch.org for ratings.
Required: Be sure your social media profile is public.
We'll select two winners each week—one professional chef and one at-home chef who post the most appealing photo representing that week's theme. Winners will be notified on the social media platform where the entry was submitted.
Thank you to all of our generous partners for contributing to this year’s prizes.
Week One, Fish Taco: Fish-etched wine glasses, octopus bottle toppers and seahorse oven mitts from Monterey Bay Aquarium
Week Two, Bivalves: Meal kit package from Blue Apron
Week Three, Seafood Pasta: $100 gift card to Disney
Week Four, Finfish: $500 gift card to Whole Foods Market
The Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch®
Photo Challenge Contest For National Seafood Month 2018
No Purchase Necessary
1) DESCRIPTION OF THE CONTEST. The "2nd Annual National Seafood Month Photo Challenge" (the "Contest") is sponsored by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Foundation, 886 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA 93940 ("Sponsor"). The Contest begins at 12:00 a.m. Pacific Time ("PT") on October 1, 2018 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on October 28, 2018 (the "Contest Period"). There are four weekly contests as part of the larger Contest, each weekly contest with a different seafood theme. Week one's theme is Fish Tacos and will run from Monday, October 1, 2018 at 12:00AM PT to Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 11:59PM PT. Week two's theme is Bivalves (clams, mussels, oysters) and will run from Monday, October 8, 2018 at 12:00AM PT to Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 11:59PM PT. Week three's theme is Seafood Pasta and will run from Monday, October 15, 2018 at 12:00AM PT to Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 11:59PM PT. Week four's theme is Finfish and will run from Monday, October 22, 2018 at 12:00AM PT to Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 11:59PM PT. Sponsor will select the Contest winner in accordance with the procedures set forth below and will announce such weekly winners on or about Monday afternoons October 8, 15, 22, 29, 2018. The final grand prize will be announced on or about Tuesday, October 30, 2018. By participating in the Contest, each entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects.
2) WHO MAY ENTER. The Contest is open only to those legal residents of the 50 United States, and the District of Columbia who are 21 years of age or older at the time of entry. Directors, officers and employees, and their immediate family members, or those living in the same household as such directors, officers and employees, of Sponsor or their respective parent, affiliated, or subsidiary companies, agents or representatives (collectively "Promotion Entities") are not eligible to enter or win. The Contest is void where restricted or prohibited by law.
5) WINNER SELECTION / JUDGING. At the end of the weekly Submission Period (Sunday nights at 11:59PM PT on October 7, 14, 21 and 28, 2018), Sponsor will monitor and review the initial submissions for eligibility. Sponsor will judge all eligible Submissions on the following criteria: quality of photos taken, visual appeal of the seafood dish, relevance to the theme designated for that week, quality of data provided about the seafood source (species, location, catch/farming method) and correct applicable Seafood Watch recommendation or eco-certification label recognized by Seafood Watch. Chances of winning are increased if a green Best Choice rated seafood item is used in the Submission, but all previously listed criteria will be considered. All Seafood Watch recommendations and eco-labels recognized by Seafood Watch are publicly available at www.seafoodwatch.org or on the free Seafood Watch app. Sponsor will select (1) one winning professional chef entry and (1) one winning non-professional at home chef entry Submission (the "Winning Submissions") for each week of the Submission Period for entries received by Sunday evenings (October 7, 14, 21 and 28) at 11:59PM PT. Sponsor will also award a grand prize winner based on overall submissions using previously listed criteria. Chances of winning the grand prize are increased if you participate in all four weekly themes. Sponsor will select (1) one winning professional chef entry and (1) one winning non-professional at home chef entry to be the grand prize winners. The determination of the Winning Submissions shall be made by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and such determination shall be final and binding.
6) PRIZES. The Winners of the Contest will receive different prizes each week in October. The Winners of week one (Fish Taco Week) will each win the following prizes from the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Gift & Bookstore, managed by Service Systems Associates (SSA); A branded tumbler coffee bottle, fish-etched wine glasses, an octopus style bottle topper and a seahorse oven mitt. The Winners of week two (Bivalves Week) will each win a free meal kit from Blue Apron. The Winners of week three (Seafood Pasta Week) will each win $100 Disney gift cards. The winners of week four (Finfish Week) will each win a $500 gift card to Whole Foods Market. The Grand Prize winners will each with a cruise package for two on Lindblad Expeditions, one to Baja California and the other to the Channel Islands in California. Entrant Total average retail value ("ARV") of total prizes is $12,558.84. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by Monterey Bay Aquarium. The Prize is non-transferable, non-extendable, and non-exchangeable. Transpiration of winners to Disney or port for cruises is not included. All other prize expenses not specified herein shall be the sole responsibility of prizewinner including, without limitation, processing and handling fees, transportation, and/or gratuities.
7) GENERAL PRIZE CONDITIONS. Prize will be awarded only if the potential winner fully complies with these Official Rules. All costs, including federal, state and local taxes, and other expenses not specifically identified as included in the prize, are the sole responsibility of the winner. No transfer, assignment, cash redemption or substitution of prizes (or portion of prize) except by Sponsor due to prize unavailability and then for a prize (or applicable portion of prize) of equal or greater value as determined by Sponsor. All details and other restrictions of prizes not specified in these Official Rules will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
8) RULES GOVERNING POTENTIAL WINNERS: The potential Winning Contestant will be notified by direct message or comment via the social media channel (Facebook, Instagram or Twitter) where the Participant submitted their entry and will be contacted within 2 (2) days following selection as a Winner. Monterey Bay Aquarium shall have no liability for Winner's failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner's failure to provide correct or otherwise non-functioning contact information. Winners may be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release within seven (7) days following the date of attempted notification. If a selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim a prize, and/or fails to return any Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release (if required), within the applicable time period, Sponsor may elect to disqualify the selected winner, who will then forfeit his or her right to receive the Prize Package. By accepting a prize, the Winning Contestant agrees that Sponsor may, without any limitation or further compensation, use his or her name, screen name, voice and/or likeness in any and all media for the purpose of advertising and promoting the Website, the Contest, the Program or any other promotion, contest or Contest sponsored by the Promotion Entities.
9) DATES & DEADLINES / ANTICIPATED NUMBER OF CONTESTANTS. Because of the unique nature and scope of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, in addition to those other rights reserved herein, to modify any date(s) or deadline(s) set forth in these Official Rules or otherwise governing the Contest. Sponsor cannot accurately predict the number of Contestants who will participate in the Contest.
10) LICENSE. By entering your Submission in to the Contest, you acknowledge and agree that Sponsor shall have a right to (a) exploit the Submission throughout the universe, in perpetuity, by means of any and all media and devices whether now known or hereafter devised for the promotion of the Contest and (b) edit, composite, morph, scan, duplicate, or alter, the Submission(s) for the promotion of the Contest. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Sponsor shall have no obligation (express or implied) to use any Submission, or to otherwise exploit any Submission or, if commenced, to continue the distribution or exploitation thereof.
11) REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES / INDEMNIFICATION. Each person who enters this Contest represents and warrants to Sponsor as follows: (i) the Submission is the entrant's own original, work; (ii) the Submission is wholly original with entrant and as of the date of submission, is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim; (iii) the Submission neither infringes upon nor violates the intellectual property rights or other rights of any other person or entity; (iv) the Submission does not and will not violate any applicable laws, and meets the Submission Requirements set forth above. Each entrant hereby agrees to indemnify and hold the Promotion Entities harmless from and against any and all third party claims, actions or proceedings of any kind and from any and all damages, liabilities, costs and expenses relating to or arising out of any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations or agreements of entrant hereunder.
12) NATURE OF RELATIONSHIP/WAIVER OF EQUITABLE RELIEF: Each entrant hereby acknowledges and agrees that the relationship between the entrant and the Promotion Entities is not a confidential, fiduciary, or other special relationship, and that the entrant's decision to provide the entrant's Submission to Sponsor for purposes of the Contest does not place the Promotion Entities in a position that is any different from the position held by members of the general public with regard to elements of the entrant's Submission. Each entrant understands and acknowledges that the Promotion Entities have wide access to ideas, stories, designs, and other literary materials, and that new ideas are constantly being submitted to it or being developed by their own employees. Each entrant also acknowledges that many ideas or materials may be competitive with, similar or identical to the Submission and/or each other in theme, idea, format or other respects. Each entrant acknowledges and agrees that such entrant will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of any Promotion Entity's use of any such similar or identical material. Each entrant acknowledges and agrees that the Promotion Entities do not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of the copyright in and to the Submission. Finally, each entrant acknowledges that, with respect to any claim by entrant relating to or arising out of a Promotion Entity's actual or alleged exploitation or use of any Submission or other material submitted in connection with the Contest, the damage, if any, thereby caused to the applicable entrant will not be irreparable or otherwise sufficient to entitle such entrant to seek injunctive or other equitable relief, and entrant's rights and remedies in any such event shall be strictly limited to the right to recover damages, if any, in an action at law.
13) FURTHER DOCUMENTATION: If Sponsor shall desire to secure additional assignments, certificates of engagement for the Submission or other documents as Sponsor may reasonably require in order to effectuate the purposes and intents of these Official Rules, then each entrant agrees to sign the same upon Sponsor's request therefor.
14) PUBLICITY RELEASE: By participating in the Contest, in addition to any other grants which may be granted in any other agreement entered into between Sponsor and any entrant in or winner of the Contest, each entrant irrevocably grants the Promotion Entities and their respective successors, assigns and licensees, the right to use such entrant's name, likeness, biographical information and Submission in any and all media for any purpose, including without limitation, advertising and promotional purposes as well as in, on or in connection with the Website or the Contest or other promotions, and hereby release the Promotion Entities from any liability with respect thereto.
15) IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ - GENERAL RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY. By entering the Contest, entrants agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event will attorneys' fees be awarded or recoverable; and (3) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby knowingly and expressly waives all rights to seek, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and/or any other damages, other than actual out-of-pocket expenses, and/or any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. Each entrant acknowledges and agrees that the Promotion Entities, Instagram, Inc., Twitter, Inc., Facebook, Inc., are not responsible for any costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with: (i) incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries or for failure to receive entries due to any cause, including without limitation human, transmission, or technical problems, failures, or malfunctions of any kind, whether originating with sender, with Sponsor, or otherwise, that may limit an entrant's ability to participate in the Contest; (ii) any injury or damage resulting from participation in the Contest and/or the use of any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, or any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages related to or based on the entrant's rights of publicity or privacy, or the entrant's claim that he or she has somehow been defamed or portrayed in a false light. Promotion Entities assume no responsibility for any damage to an entrant's computer system which is occasioned by accessing the Website or participating in the Contest, or for any computer system, phone line, hardware, software or program malfunctions, or other errors, failures, delayed computer transmissions or network connections that are human or technical in nature, or for the incorrect or inaccurate capture of information, or the failure to capture any information.
16) GOVERNING LAW. ALL ISSUES AND QUESTIONS CONCERNING THE CONSTRUCTION, VALIDITY, INTERPRETATION AND ENFORCEABILITY OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES, OR THE RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS OF ENTRANTS OR SPONSOR IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY DESIGN SUBMISSION OR OTHER MATERIAL SUBMITTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST, SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE INTERNAL LAWS OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA WITHOUT GIVING EFFECT TO ANY CHOICE OF LAW OF CONFLICT OF LAW RULES OR PROVISIONS THAT WOULD CAUSE THE APPLICATION OF ANY OTHER STATE'S LAWS. THE INVALIDITY OR UNENFORCEABILITY OF ANY PROVISION OF THESE RULES SHALL NOT AFFECT THE VALIDITY OR ENFORCEABILITY OF ANY OTHER PROVISION. IN THE EVENT THAT ANY PROVISION IS DETERMINED TO BE INVALID OR OTHERWISE UNENFORCEABLE OR ILLEGAL, THESE RULES SHALL OTHERWISE REMAIN IN EFFECT AND SHALL BE CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THEIR TERMS AS IF THE INVALID OR ILLEGAL PROVISION WERE NOT CONTAINED HEREIN.
17) LIST OF WINNERS: The name of the winners of this Contest will be available by request by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org once such winners have been selected if the request is received no later than December 5, 2018.
18) MISCELLANEOUS: This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or otherwise associated with Instagram, Inc, Facebook, Inc. or Twitter, Inc. You understand that you are providing your information to Sponsor and not to Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.
© Monterey Bay Aquarium Foundation